photo from Harrison Township Fire Department
Firefighter’s do way more than put out fires including animal rescue from time to time. They’re used to rescuing ducks from storm drains but for the Harrison Township Fire Department, this very stuck racoon was a first.
Brian Lorkowski, Veteran firefighter Lt, was perplexed when he arrived to see this poor fella in such a predicament. They tried putting soap around the racoons neck with no luck. They then considered cutting into the cover but ultimately decided against it as they didn’t want to hurt the animal.
Finally, the person who reported the racoon ran home and brought the team some cooking oil which ended up working fabulously! Lorkowski and his team were able to pull the racoon out of the cover, injury free.